Today, while reading a lovely blog: “What Blogging Has Taught Me“, a similar thought struck me – “Why reading fascinates me?”
So how did this fascination start? Hmmm…During my junior school days, we had a reading class in which we had to read a book which we check out from the school library. That’s when I was hooked to fiction novels of Nancy Drews, Hardy Boys, etc. I started reading voraciously and my frequent trips to the library started. But so worth it! It was my second home. I can remember staring at all the books there and feeling so rich. It took me to a different world (…and still does)!!
Most of the time I would stay a couple of hours just running my fingers over the spines and pulling a book out occasionally to look it over, taking my time to pick out the two I would check out. Sometimes I would sit and begin one right there delaying the time when I would have to return home to do homework. I wanted this place to be my bedroom. But, alas!!
It’s such a good feeling when I begin reading and get hooked immediately. I’m on a roll!
Yes, another great book…
- To read in between other books.
- which are written with such gentleness and illumination that I just love swimming in their words.
- which gives me a hard time moving on to a new book as it just sticks in my mind.
- which I had no desire to read but the ending was just perfection!
- that have a unique way of describing feelings that made me say to myself, “Of course! Why didn’t I think of that?!”
- which I decide to re-read because I remember parts of it but there are so many things I have forgotten that’s it’s actually enjoyable.
- which are un-put-downable and I just wish I hadn’t finished it so quickly.
- which are those I find myself sneaking to read in those few moments of downtime.
- Life-changer. Perspective-shifter. Game-changer.
I am embarrassed to say that there are few books I would never read! I know it is inexcusable but it had tears in my voice before the end of the first chapter. But, they are a classic! And, I had a hard time about half way through few books and wasn’t sure I was going to finish it, but I kept slogging through and I’m glad I did!
Have my reading habits changed? Good question! I think I’d have to say no. I still love a good story…still looking for escape…still looking for something that is well written. And, really, that’s about it. When I am doing nothing beside work, eat, sleep, bath, etc…I am simply reading…be it a book, newspaper, newspaper, blogs, journals or forums…indiscriminately reads everything in sight. A person who reads, period, no matter what it is?
“We read to know that we are not alone.” ~ C.S. Lewis